HBO - True Detective

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

HBO - True Detective

Post by jjreason »

Saw the first episode through the magic of buying Game of Thrones season III on bluray (through the first disc I was able to stream the show). Pretty awesome, can't wait to have HBO again to catch up on this.
"Something inside me....."
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: HBO - True Detective

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

The only thing I really know about this show is that Alexandra Daddario gets nekked at one point and it's glorious.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Saw that, and I don't think I've ever been quite so surprised. Those tits on that girl? Shocking. She gained a looooooot of points for that.

I'm halfway done now (finally re-added HBO to my tv deal to make sure I was ready for GoT on Sunday so it's available via on-demand), and it's a stressful damned show.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

And done. That was seriously about as intense as watching an 8hr cut of Silence of the Lambs. Absolutely terrifying. I haven't slept worth a shit either of the last 2 nights - had to finally get out of bed & finish it tonight.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Wow. That's coming from a grown ass man. Who's also a copper.

My interest is now piqued.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

JJ did piss his pants during Leprechaun in the Hood, so be aware.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The old bladder ain't what she used to be. :(
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

I'm intrigued now as well. I'd heard good things but I still don't know much about the show itself.

Not tonight though . . . now Sundays will be dominated GoT and Cosmos for the foreseeable future.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Senor JabbaJohnL wrote: I still don't know much about the show itself.
Two detectives are called in 17 years after they solved a ritual homicide to provide statements about the path the investigation took. As they tell the tale, we learn via flashback (where most of the series occurs) how it really played out. We see the relationship of the detectives develop & learn a lot about their true nature and how it contrasts with the facades they put on at work & in their social lives.

The show does give us a lot of the cliches of detective shows, more I think as homages to those types of stories that have come before - they weren't even trying to break new ground here at all I don't think, and there was no need really. The series really moves along, I can't imagine having to wait the full week to watch the next one - that would have really, really sucked.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

jjreason wrote:
Senor JabbaJohnL wrote: I still don't know much about the show itself.
Two detectives are called in 17 years after they solved a ritual homicide to provide statements about the path the investigation took. As they tell the tale, we learn via flashback (where most of the series occurs) how it really played out. We see the relationship of the detectives develop & learn a lot about their true nature and how it contrasts with the facades they put on at work & in their social lives.

The show does give us a lot of the cliches of detective shows, more I think as homages to those types of stories that have come before - they weren't even trying to break new ground here at all I don't think, and there was no need really. The series really moves along, I can't imagine having to wait the full week to watch the next one - that would have really, really sucked.
Hmm, sounds interesting. I'm down for some Rashomon-style framing. Thanks for the summary.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Get on it. Looking forward to hearing what any of the rest of you think of this series!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I have it all ready to watch. Just haven't made the time yet.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Just finished the first 2 episodes.
The first episode starts really slow, but its great character building.
Episode two is just another well developed layer peeled away as they dig deeper into the case and their lives...and the previously mentioned outstanding Alexandra Daddario nudity.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

I recently watched it all and saw the finale last night. The series starts out so damn slow, but it works to establish the world and the pace of Southern livin'. It didn't really pick up for me until about halfway through the season, but by then it's compelling as hell. Lots of great, creepy imagery.

I was expecting more of an actual supernatural element with all the "time is a flat circle" talk and memes, but I like how it was all handled in the show.

It'll be weird to have the "same show" with a different cast and premise, but it's better than it turning into the Hart and Cohle Buddy Cop Adventure Hour. Those characters were so consumed and transformed by this one case that it would be cheap to have them doing more of the same.

On a technical level, I thought the makeup was well done for the characters appearing in various years. My sister kept commenting on how fake Hart's belly looked, so maybe the prosthetics weren't so great. Or maybe Woody Harrelson is that fat? I dunno. Anyway, I also thought the car scenes all looked pretty distractingly cheesy with obvious not-quite-there greenscreen. But the long take at the end of the fourth episode was amazing – I kept looking for ways they could've cheated it but it sounds like it was all choreographed and done live.

And since it's worth mentioning again: sweet fucking shit, Alexandra Daddario is astounding.