2014 Winter Olympics

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

2014 Winter Olympics

Post by Ran »

NBC's coverage is just...odd. I turned on coverage this evening. They ended running a 15-20 minute story on the Cold War and space race. Then they started talking about the US-Russia hockey from this morning. I was up at 4:30 and watched it. They said they were going to re-play the game in prime-time, then proceeded to start talking about the result. I hope no one was trying to avoid the spoilers.

For some reason, they tried to shoehorn a comparison to the 1980 game. I don't know why. The 1980 US team consisted of a bunch of college kids who were major underdogs while the Soviet team were professionals. This time around, both team consisted of professionals and have similar talent. Plus, that game was in the medal round. Today's game was merely part of the preliminary round. The only similarity between the two games was that they both had dramatic conclusions.
jjreason

Re: 2014 Winter Olympics

Post by jjreason »

Grats to the US, it was an excellent hockey game. I was really surprised (and not impressed) at them allowing the use of the same shooter over and over though, after the initial 3 shots. They didn't need to make the shootout less of a team endeavor - quite the opposite in fact. :(

EDITED: oh, and it was pretty awesome to see Ilya Kovalchuk play again!
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

jjreason wrote:Grats to the US, it was an excellent hockey game. I was really surprised (and not impressed) at them allowing the use of the same shooter over and over though, after the initial 3 shots. They didn't need to make the shootout less of a team endeavor - quite the opposite in fact. :(

EDITED: oh, and it was pretty awesome to see Ilya Kovalchuk play again!
Yeah, International Rules helped the US twice in that game. That "no goal" was one. Using the same shooter after the first 3 was the other. Quick has been playing well, but it is a little disappointing not seeing Ryan Miller in goal. Girgensons is playing well for Latvia, even if they aren't winning.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

T minus 11 hours.
"Something inside me....."