Game of Thrones (HBO)

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO)

Post by Diabolical »

Did you read the article or just the headline?
They didn't seem to spoil the who in the headline.

(If you're ever surprised that someone dies on GoT, what the fuck?)
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Faux deaths. We'll see those characters again. And for clarification, I don't think Brienne killed Stanis and my theory is Jon Snow will rise with the powers of a white walker, but still retain his knowledge of who he is & use the powers for good. He'll be the "Ice" to Dany's "Fire" (I'm sure I've put this theory here before someplace).

EDITED to hide my spoiling.
Last edited by jjreason on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason wrote:Faux deaths. We'll see those characters again. And for clarification, I don't think Brienne killed Stanis and my theory is Jon Snow will rise with the powers of a white walker, but still retain his knowledge of who he is & use the powers for good. He'll be the "Ice" to Dany's "Fire" (I'm sure I've put this theory here before someplace).
Stannis is obviously alive. GoT has never shied away from a death - no reason to start now.

As for John, another theory is Mellisandre will use her read magic to bring him back. But bringing him back would feel like a cheat to me. As much as I hated seeing him die, I do like the idea that its a massive twist that throws everything off course.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Diabolical wrote:
As for John, another theory is Mellisandre will use her read magic to bring him back.
Eww. I guess that could happen, but then I'd be wrong & I don't like that. :(
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

First, there was a headline about a "major character death," before it aired on the west coast.

Then, within a couple of minutes of it ending, an article with the Facebook tease "I want to kill every White Walker" and a picture of Jon.

A toddler could do the math there. Really not cool.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

All im going to say is maybe its possible that the math doesn't quite add up...
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yeah the facebook bullshit way before even 24hrs has elapsed is crazy - and I'm not talking about peoples' posts, but shared headlines & stuff that seemingly just appears out of nowhere doesn't give folks a chance. You're either stuck arranging your life around air time or being in an internet free bubble - in Chux's case it appears both would have been required.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Or read the books and not be spoiled.

But now going into season six we are in uncharted waters. The TV series has now caught up to the books narrative. Unless the book comes out before the next season starts. And that seems unlikely.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason wrote:Yeah the facebook bullshit way before even 24hrs has elapsed is crazy - and I'm not talking about peoples' posts, but shared headlines & stuff that seemingly just appears out of nowhere doesn't give folks a chance. You're either stuck arranging your life around air time or being in an internet free bubble - in Chux's case it appears both would have been required.
Yeah, it really isn't that hard to NOT mention what happened and put up a headline/photo that doesn't spoil anything.
I guess they assume a sexier headline is better than "Let's talk about the events of the season finale."

In general, most people seem to be getting better with that stuff on fb. It's just the morons that say things like "I can't believe they killed ___________! R.I.P.!"

Hell, it even bugs me when anyone spoils when there is a major twist or shock in a tv show or movie without actually spoiling what it is. When I know there is a twist coming, I expect it and it takes away some of the impact because I'm trying to figure out what it might be. "I totally did not see that ending coming! #plottwist"
Tom Foolery wrote:Or read the books and not be spoiled.
That is a cop out excuse. Not everyone should have to read the books.
Tom Foolery wrote:But now going into season six we are in uncharted waters. The TV series has now caught up to the books narrative. Unless the book comes out before the next season starts. And that seems unlikely.
I'm still not quite finished with A Dance with Dragons (100 or so pages left), but they did alter a lot of things, so reading the books doesn't always mean you know what is coming.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I've still got a way to go on the books. And, like DB said, they're changing a lot. In the end, assuming Martin finishes the books at all (which is becoming more of a question; dude is like 130 and looks like he doesn't take the best care of himself), they'll probably have split so far that only the final result of who rules the kingdom will be the same between the two. (Triumvirate of Tyrion, Dany, and Jon, of course. Which would require Tyrion to die and be reborn, too, which happened with Dany and is probably going to happen with Jon.)

The AV Club, a sister of the Onion that posts real (mostly) entertainment news with a sarcastic bent to the writing, actually got it right. The headline was something like "[REDACTED] confirms [REDACTED] will not return next season." Then everything in the preview started with a note about heavy spoilers and had the "[REDACTED]" over anything that would be identifiable, and the thumbnail was just the GoT logo. Sad when "fake news" is so much better than real news. We're fucked when Jon Stewart leaves.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Having read the books would have prevented most of the spoilers - typically the fundamental plot events that they just can't change - but there were numerous other - ok I'll say it - deaths/events that are made to look like deaths over the last couple of episodes that weren't in the books: Stannis' wife & kid for 2 along with Myrcella Lannister- and that last one leads my thoughts to some very significant potential for unrest, if not outright war between Dorne & King's Landing moving forward into next season. There was NO suggestion that was happening by the end of book 5, unless I've forgotten something pretty damned major. We have already waded into completely new territory as far as the greater story goes.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

This is how it's done.
Attachments
got.JPG
got.JPG (46.43 KiB) Viewed 3793 times
anarky

Post by anarky »

Major casting news today for Season 6: Ian McShane.

I just changed my prediction on who wins in the end, because All Swearengen makes all the denizens of Westeros look like cocksucking pussies.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1438483200442.jpg
FB_IMG_1438483200442.jpg (45.03 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That is extremely exciting news. I'm watching a show right now on Netflix called "The Fall" - it's a murder mystery set in Dublin, Ireland featuring Gilian Anderson from the X-Files. The reason I mention that here is because Barriston Selmy and Roose Bolton also appear, whatever their real fucking names are.

And one more unrelated thought - let's not forget the BEST crass line in all of Deadwood, one not uttered by Al Sharpton but by Calamity Jane....

"AH BURNT MAH SNATCH!!!!"
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Soon. I've got my HBO all set up & ready to go (3 weeks early like an idiot - somehow I thought it started last night & found out it's not until the 24th :frus: ).