Game of Thrones (HBO)

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Game of Thrones (HBO)

Post by jjreason »

So obviously only the readers are watching, unless Caesar is watching & not reading (I'm assuming he's watching, as far as I recall he loves HBO).

So I'm done episode 7 now. All in all I've decided I do like it, even though having someone else's visuals in my head usually pisses me off.

Holy god damn, but the girl playing Daenarys is like my new favorite favorite.

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

A few things have ticked me off - Lord Peter Baelish having his knife at Ned's throat to end ep 7 first & foremost. That can't have happened that way in the book, can it????
"Something inside me....."
jjreason

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO)

Post by jjreason »

Done episode 9. For every campy "Rome-style" moment (Littlefinger coaching the whores for example), there has been at least one that has captured the feelings of the book perfectly. The end of ep9 is an example of that. I must also say I REALLY enjoyed the original sequence introducing Tywin Lannister (he & Jaime speaking while he skinned the moose/elk). That fit beautifully.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

alls i know about this is a poster i saw on the side of a newsstand near the NYC public library. it said "five kings, one throne". wouldn't that be a "game of throne" then?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

jjreason wrote:Done episode 9. For every campy "Rome-style" moment (Littlefinger coaching the whores for example), there has been at least one that has captured the feelings of the book perfectly. The end of ep9 is an example of that. I must also say I REALLY enjoyed the original sequence introducing Tywin Lannister (he & Jaime speaking while he skinned the moose/elk). That fit beautifully.
The one scene change that bugged me was Tyrion getting thumped on the noggin and "missing" the battle. I realize it was for budgetary reasons, but I :roll: at that one.
vynsane wrote:alls i know about this is a poster i saw on the side of a newsstand near the NYC public library. it said "five kings, one throne". wouldn't that be a "game of throne" then?
You should also read the books. I shan't spoil, but there are multiple thrones being vied for as the books progress.

And as the old saying goes "In the Game of Thrones, you win, or you die."
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

vynsane wrote:alls i know about this is a poster i saw on the side of a newsstand near the NYC public library. it said "five kings, one throne". wouldn't that be a "game of throne" then?
I see what you did there. Well played. *third modern offhand comment suggesting approval*
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

The 2nd season premiere had a series high 3.9M viewers.
I only mention it as an excuse to point out Chux needs to READ THE GODDAMN BOOKS. :x
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

By the way, how bitchin' is the opening theme music?

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

HBO theme songs have NEVER failed to whet my whistle for the show - everything from the Sopranos to Deadwood to Jane's Addiction leading off each episode of Entourage - amazing. Pavlov's bells to the hungry viewers or something.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I can't think of an HBO series without an awesome theme song. Even Curb Your Enthusiasm has a great one.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

There was a pretty funny GoT sketch on SNL tonight.
Negative Boy
knightrider

Post by Negative Boy »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:There was a pretty funny GoT sketch on SNL tonight.
GOT? SNL?

OMG, Did you LOL?

You sound like a twelve year old girl, Dweeb.
GOD! That is so STUPID!! You are WRONG!!

Eternal Padawan is DEAD!! Fuck yeah!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Every time my wife watches an episode of this, it makes me put off the books another few days. I swear, I was absent when they passed out the Kool-Aid that made you like this show and think Spongebob is funny.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Did you like Rome, Chux? The tone of the tv series is very Rome. The tone of the books is decidedly NOT Rome. It's not tongue in cheek or suggestively leering in any way (unless it's meant to be of course).

I'm done hitting you in the face with the door. My next request will be much more subtle (and thus influential). Might I recommend that you just read the very beginnings of the firstmost book in the series?
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

I ain't seen none o' this shit. But I was following the George W. Bush-as-decapitated-head kerfuffle, which I thought was retardedly hilarious. The excuse was that they just used whatever heads they had, and they just happened to have a decapitated Bush head lying around. Then they use it as the second-most-prominent head in the shot with the dead Sean Bean guy. Then they point it out on the DVD, thinking people won't get pissed and saying it's nothing political. Then they digitally cut the shit out of it until it doesn't look like a face, but a poorly edited lump, for all future releases and airings.
I sincerely doubt that it was just coincidence or happenstance that the head was Bush, but they probably shouldn't have done that, no matter which president it was, but I also really don't think it was anything to get that upset about, and I'm assuming that anyone who got legitimately upset hadn't known the context or the fact that it's only shown for like a second. It was just stupidity all around. They should have just not acknowledged it in the commentary, I guess.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I bet no one would be pissed off if it was William Henry Harrison. Because that motherfucker sucked. Unless he campaigned and started all speeches with, "If I am elected, my first order of office will be to fucking die," then he was the granddaddy of all liars.