Foyle's War

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Foyle's War

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I recently started checking these out from the Library. Its a BBC TV series (although its really more telefilms than episodes) Set in England during the early years of WWII (before America got involved) It's about a Police Detective solving murders while the country is trying to survive against Germany. Its part murder mystery and part historical drama. Expertly acted in a very reserved British style. Quite enjoyable. Anybody watch it?
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Jargo
christopher walken

Re: Foyle's War

Post by Jargo »

Seen some. Thought it was historically inaccurate and quite amateur dramatics in quality. Michael Kitchen performs Foyle like an actor desperately reaching for the end of each line. Honeysuckle Weeks is unattractive enough to play the role but fucking awful as an actor. The gay guy with the pencilled on eyebrows playing Foyle's second forgets to limp most of the time. Which considering he's supposedly got a wooden leg is fairly obvious. Like most British drama this series merely served to keep out of work and talentless actors off welfare for a time. It tickled the fancy of the dementia addled elderly audience with bland plots and just enough of a whiff of long lost empire to sate their vague and fading nostalgia. According to Wikipedia the show hasn't actually ended. Which means at some point the producers will dig up the dead actors and reassemble the cast for more tawdry shenanigans in post war Britain. Which would by my estimation be about as appetising as a revived Jake and the Fatman featuring the rotted corpse of William Conrad and the death like visage of Joe Penny.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Sounds like the CBC borrowed the premise of this show for their "Murdoch Mysteries", which my folks seem to really enjoy. Except I think it takes place in the 1920s, in Toronto.
"Something inside me....."
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

I've not watched it but I recall seeing a listing for the Murdoch mysteries on one of our channels. The pinnacle of British broadcasting is long gone. I think the lowest point was reached when they aired 'Celebrity Enema'. In which Z-listers had said enema and then showed their anal doings to the camera while earnestly discussing it. Suffice to say certain of the Z-listers have now disappeared into abject obscurity and haven't been heard from since the show aired. Others are like the clap. An unwanted gift that just keeps on giving.

The best British historical detective series is Poirot. With the delightful David Suchet in the titular role. Exercising his 'leetle grey cells' in bona fide 1930's locations. Although in one episode my keen eye spotted that an Art Deco elevator door had gold sticky tape applied to a modern door to make it appear Deco. I think one of my main quibbles with British historical drama is the insistence on using genuine artefacts to dress a set or for the use as personal props. It would be far cheaper to simply fabricate replicas that looked as new as they should do rather than using grubby, rusting genuine food cans or yellowed genuine newspapers etc. Whenever I catch one of these glaring oversights on screen i just feel like - that feeling you get around homeless people and the elderly - somehow dirty for having come into contact with them. As though the shabbyness and dusty dirtiness has rubbed off onto you. Does that make sense? The feeling you get when sharing a meal and the other person insists on eating a taste from your fork and the whole fork goes in their mouth and afterwards you just want a clean fork or to forget the rest of the meal. Something that stands out as wrong and odd and horrible. In the case of the historical drama It totally ruins a scene..

would write more but there's a fight outside my house and I've just heard a massive crash. Sounded like breaking toughened glass. TTFN.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!