HUB

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: HUB

Post by anarky »

I did not. That man was even more flaming than I remembered.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

anarky wrote:I did not. That man was even more flaming than I remembered.
Yes. As gay as Batman & Robin's escape from the paper shredding machine.
anarky

Post by anarky »

It occurred to me this evening: wouldn't they just sort of jam the machine? And, even if they didn't, wouldn't they just suffer superficial cuts?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

It had to be the worst show from the series. So many things seemed forced and out of the norm for the show.
anarky

Post by anarky »

It apparently was the highest-rated twofer in the show's history, though. Liberace once had appeal. I understand they just closed his museum in Vegas last year.

It's funny that Batman is rated TV-G and has real people fighting (even if cheesily), and Transformers is rated TV-PG.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Something I forgot that was hilarious about tonight's TF:

In their debut two-parter, the Stunticons were THE SHIT. One could take out the entire Autobot army singlehandedly. Even the minor components could beat Optimus Prime.

Tonight, they were typical weak Decepticons, easily bested by the Autobots because the "holy shit" factor of new characters was gone. The Autobots didn't even need to call in the Aerialbots.

Their debut storyline was Tuesday and yesterday. This was the very next episode. They powered down fast, eh?

I'd also forgotten how the Dinobots are practically nonexistent in most of the second season, then show up with a vengeance in the movie.
Ran

Post by Ran »

anarky wrote:It apparently was the highest-rated twofer in the show's history, though. Liberace once had appeal. I understand they just closed his museum in Vegas last year.
I drove by it. Even the sign isn't straight. Do a street view on google to see it.

I caught TF last night and again tonight. The Stunticons breaking out of the Autobot base was almost as bad as Batman & Robin's escape.
Snigtad Flornbi
christopher walken
Location: I AM NOT CALING U, I AM CALLIN THE LADYS, NOT U, CUZ U R A FAGG!

Post by Snigtad Flornbi »

SHOWS WHAT U FAGS NO. I THAUT GAYWODS CUD SPOT THERE OWN, I GESS THATS RONG. LIBERATCHI WAS SO TOTALY NOT GAY, HE GOT MAD PUSEY. DID U C THAT SHOW LAST NITE? I DID BE CAUS JERZEY SHURE WAS NOT ON, AND LIBERATCHI TOTALEY FUCKED BAMTAN'S MOMMY, U DONT FUCK AN OLD LADY UNTEL U WERK UR WAY UP SO HE WAS A MASTER OF FUCKIN.
NOW THAT IS A GOD DAM GAYE ROBAT!!! LOOK A THAT FUCKIN DICK ON HIS HAND, HE PROBLY SUX IT EVER NITE CUZ HE IS A GAY FAG LIEK U FAGGETS!! MAN, U FAGS LIEK ROBAT DONG HANDS UP UR GAY ASSES DON'T U, HA HA HA HA HA HA I NEW IT!!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Ran wrote:
anarky wrote:I caught TF last night and again tonight. The Stunticons breaking out of the Autobot base was almost as bad as Batman & Robin's escape.
Yeah, the whole bit with one of them--and not even the toughest--just bashing through the force field was insanely dumb. And then they become super-robots again to wipe out all the Autobots still in the base.

It never really struck me until last night: the only real fatality in the show, prior to the movie, is Blitzwing in the opening credits. Omega Supreme fucking stomps him, and Scrapper swoops in to scoop up his smashed, charred corpse. Really. That's some heavy shit there. You've got death in the opening credits... but then the show doesn't live up to it.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Can't seem to fall asleep tonight, so I turned on the late showing of Batman. It is one I've never seen called "Batman's Anniversary". It looks like the father from the Adams Family is the Riddler. They just had an underwater fight in a bank. Well, it wasn't really underwater, they just put bubbles in front of the screen and had the actors move slowly. :roll: The Riddler loaded the cash from the bank (while underwater) into a bag labeled "Dry Loot Sack". I don't think they thought that one through very well.
Ran

Post by Ran »

The Renegades Zartan made more sense to me than the original cartoon series. I never quite understood exactly what he was supposed to be back then. That said, I liked the concept of the Dreadnoughts in Renegades, but not the execution.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Since this seems to be partly the 60s Batman series, I'll throw this here rather than start a thread in the dusty old Literature section.

Just finished up a book I've had for a few years but never cracked, Adam West's 1994 memoir Back To The Batcave.
Pretty interesting guy. Overall, he is a pretty honest guy but he gets a bit too complimentary with some people and toots his own horn quite a bit.

A few highlights:

He loved the show just reading the first script, and insists it wasn't camp, but rather comedy.

After Batman wrapped, he was offered the role of James Bond in On Her Majesties Secret Service, but turned it down because he felt it wouldn't be right for a non-Brit to be Bond.

He almost fucked a man once.

The only person he openly hates is Otto Preminger, the first Mr. Freeze.

He once met the Pope, who told him he loved the show.

Was disappointed with Tim Burton's 89 Batman for many reasons, including being upset that he wasn't asked to play Batman again.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I've seen enough episodes recently to come to the conclusion that there is no way they were trying to be serious. It had to be comedy.
anarky

Post by anarky »

The Batman comic was apparently on the verge of cancellation, and somehow someone with some influence was at the Playboy Mansion and noticed Hugh Hefner was watching the 1940s serial and laughing at it. So they made the TV show, which essentially saved the comic book, and did it goofy. Bob Kane everyone was totally in on the joke except Adam West, since he was so incredibly wooden.

Of course, West now claims otherwise. Not sure whether it's Kane, West, or both who's full of shit. Kane had a bit of a history with bullshit (Bill Finger probably kicked him in the ass as soon as he died), so I'm leaning toward West being closer to the truth.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Hef is never mentioned in the book. According to West, the original idea was to do Dick Tracy, but there was a problem (with the rights or something, I forget exactly), so producer Bill Dozier went after a different crimefighter.

Also, Sometime in the late 80s West wanted to play The Phantom, but the financiers didn't want to pay $1 million for the rights, so he tried to convince them he should play Daredevil, but this time the financiers said Daredevil wasn't a high enough profile character.

Although it isn't mentioned in the book, since it was published 17 years ago, but these days Adam West is currently the Mayor of a city in Rhode Island.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.