HUB

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

HUB

Post by Ran »

Discovery Kids is turning into HUB, which is backed by Hasbro. I was just checking the guide to see what kind of shows they have planned. Looks like a mix of new and old stuff. It looks like they have old stuff like Doogie Howser, Family Ties, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, 1960s Batman, 80s Transformers, 80s GI Joe, Batman Beyond, & Fraggle Rock. Batman, Transformers, and GI Joe are on back to back to back. I know what I'm watching tomorrow night.

Edit: Here is their schedule: http://www.hubworld.com/tv-schedule
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: HUB

Post by anarky »

Shit, I forgot that launched today. Did Transformers: Prime or GIJoe Renegades debut? There was a lot of confusion about when they start. Renegades looks pretty cool, and Transformers looks decent, movie-inspired designs aside.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I didn't see the new Transformers or GI Joe in the listing, but you probably missed the debut of Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony.

Does a new GI Joe cartoon mean the end of the current GI Joe toy line?
anarky

Post by anarky »

Strangely, no. There's no toy line announced for Prime or Renegades. Which sounds uber stupid to me; these cartoons existed previously to advertise toys. Only this time, the shows will debut, most likely before Christmas, with no toys to match them on the shelves.

However, it's been confirmed that the Pursuit of Cobra is a very limited series. Four waves of figures, along with--assuming they get to all of them and nothing's canceled--two waves of mechs, and I think three waves each of Alpha and Bravo vehicles. I'm willing to bet money the second wave of mechs never gets made. Even the Cobra mech is rotting, and its pilot looks like he's almost worth $20 by himself.

No word on how realistic the Renegades figures will be, either. I'm hoping realistic and with the same construction. Then I can add whatever new Cobras they introduce into the mix.

Saw the premiere of Fraggle Rock on Hub OnDemand tonight. It's funny how the show is simultaneously cheesy as hell, yet holds up and is still awesome. Sadly, they cut a lot. The originals were a full half-hour on HBO in the 80s, but this was 26 minutes with several minutes of ads. I could tell for absolute certain that the opening and ending songs were cut (the opening downright butchered to a single verse), and Red had a line that implied there was an entire missing subplot about her not believing Gobo about "outer space."

But cut Fraggles on TV is better than no Fraggles on TV.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:But cut Fraggles on TV is better than no Fraggles on TV.
is this referencing a heretofore unexplored angle of the circumcision discussion?

we have fraggle rock series 1 on DVD, so we have uncut fraggles on TV whenever.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Yes, but what percentage of Americans have any Fraggle Rock on TV?

I'll tell you: about 85% lower than the number of Americans who should.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

anarky wrote:But cut Fraggles on TV is better than no Fraggles on TV.
vynsane wrote:is this referencing a heretofore unexplored angle of the circumcision discussion?
QOTD vyn...QOTD :lol:
anarky

Post by anarky »

It's not official till you post it in the QOTD thread.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Just saw their 1st episode of Batman. It was the "Hi Diddle Riddle" episode where Batman ends up in a club and does his famous dance. I don't know if I've ever seen the whole episode before. He actually talks about his parents being murdered, which I didn't think was ever addressed in that series.

Now I must get back to the TV. They are showing the first Transformers episode where they leave Cybertron and crash land on earth.
Ran

Post by Ran »

The 80s GI Joe really didn't hold up well.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I thought the same thing. From Scarlett buzzing the others in the Skystriker, to everyone obviously being certified on the Skystriker, or, my favorite, Cobra sending the one-eyed man to lead a surgical airstrike, that was a train wreck.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Yeah, there were so many things that didn't make sense. Are the comic books like that too?

Another thing I noticed...There was a lot of hand-to-hand combat in Transfrormers even though they had guns.
anarky

Post by anarky »

There was an awful lot of Autobot flight, despite a major plot point later on being that the civil war started partly because Autobots couldn't fly.

And, no, the comics were not like that. They were written by a Vietnam vet with martial arts training who idolized Dickens, and who says to this day that he never watched the show. The main quirk of the comic was needing a lot of footnotes to explain the military jargon characters kept using.

I tried to find an image from the first GIJoe comic, preferably the one where Baroness takes a scientist as a hostage (threatening to "reduce her head to a fine red mist"), to illustrate the difference. Even from the get-go, it could get pretty hardcore for a comic based on a toy.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

First off, "Cut Fraggles" will have to be added to the Vynsane.com Glossary.

Second, the Joe Comic rocked.

Third, the cartoon sucked ass and is primarily the reason that Duke is neck and neck with Professor X as douchiest fictional character EVER in my book.

Fourth, I don't have cable so I can't comment on how good or bad Prime and/or Renegades is. Other than the fact they turned Lady Jaye into a "fiesty Latina" stereotype which is beyond assy. But which we've discussed in other topics and won't regurgitate here.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Ran

Post by Ran »

So tonight, the Decepticons bust out of a cave and retreat. Iron Hide and Blue Streak go after them. They get one shot off and hit the black/purple jet. He teleports back behind Ironhide and Blue Streak and fires 3 missiles off before they do anything. He shoots down Iron Hide on the 4th shot.

Also, the little car that rides in Prime's trailer rolled around for a minute and beeped like an R2-D2 rip-off. I didn't remember the cartoon ever showing it or the inside of the trailer before. It just always seemed to appear and disappear when Prime transforms.

Classic line by Megatron to Starscream after another failed coup attempt: "you couldn't lead androids to a picnic". :roll:

Oh, and I just noticed a great misspelling on the guide description for GI Joe. It says: "Duke recovers from his injuries; Snake Eyes wanders the attic, poisoned by crystal elements."