HUB

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: HUB

Post by Ran »

The Hub finally moved onto post-Transformers the Movie episodes. Conversations between Wheelie and Blur are a bit annoying.

GI Joe has moved onto Arise, Serpentor, Arise. Holy shit, he repeats "THIS I COMMAND!" a lot.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Those post-movie episodes are bad. I let Anarky Jr watch the movie and then started on the next season. I couldn't even make it past the first five-part miniseries myself.

It really is quite amazing that, if you watch the first two seasons in order, then the movie, then the third and fourth season, how vastly different the quality is. First season is pretty sloppy, second is much better but far from perfect, and the third and fourth are downright crap in every way. And the movie is "holy shit!" better than even the best moments of the show. I still watch it regularly; it's awesome even if only because it's the only time those characters had animation that was as cool as they were.

The replacement voices for guys like Robert Stack and Leonard Nimoy were really lousy. Galvatron was especially shitty.

I'd forgotten until watching some on Hub a week or so ago how rather annoying Sgt. Slaughter was. I know most would thin that's heresy, but he just sort of shows up and kicks everyone's ass. He's fucking bossing Beach Head around; Beach Head is essentially the character Slaughter is playing here (though not as ridiculous), the badass drill sergeant everyone hates but who kicks Cobra ass all over the place and who outranks most of the Joes.

The tryouts for the Dreadnoks were pretty laughable. Cool concept, but, fuck, did these guys ever read a single Dreadnok filecard? Don't they know Thrasher is a fucking insane wacko (and far from the "smart Dreadnok" he is here)? I guess not; it seems to have never sunk in that original 'Nok Buzzer was a fucking Cambridge professor who was studying Australian biker gangs and decided it would be cool to ride with them.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Colbert is a rerun tonight, so I put on Batman. Tonight's villain is Clock King. Batman and Robin are doing the wall climb when the window opens. Sammy Davis Jr. pops out and invites them in to listen to him rehearse. After they turn him down, he tells them to catch his act sometime. Most unexpected cameo.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Saw a few minutes of Batman tonight. Batman and the Penguin were both running for office. The Penguin's political rally not only had a belly dancer, but the band was Paul Revere and the Raiders. The belly dancer was wearing a skirt and a bikini top. I didn't know they let women show that much skin on Batman.
Ran

Post by Ran »

This triple post is brought to you because Louie the Lilac is on Batman right now.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I pulled out my Shout! Factory complete GiJoe series Boxset and have started watching all the episodes. I watched The MASS Device and Revenge of Cobra yesterday. I started Pyramid of Darkness today.

I love how Duke ordered Roadblock's hillbilly chick who is a civilian to do an extremely dangerous stunt of crossing the electric poles. Whadda douche.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Don't take this personally, but I just saw SnakeEyes line dancing like a chorus girl, and then dress in drag, and now I have to kick one of you in the nuts. :frus:

Alpine yodels.

Lady Jaye's harpoon selection is like Batman's utility belt on crack.
Ran

Post by Ran »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:Don't take this personally, but I just saw SnakeEyes line dancing like a chorus girl, and then dress in drag, and now I have to kick one of you in the nuts. :frus:

Alpine yodels.

Lady Jaye's harpoon selection is like Batman's utility belt on crack.
I've seen that one. Although it doesn't involve anyone in drag, another bad episode is the one where Zartan and the Dreadnaughts form a band. Their music is laced with some subliminal message that controls people's minds. Come to think of it, a lot of those cartoons were bad.

Haven't seen Alpine yodel.

You are correct about Lady Jaye.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Alpine yodels during the Pyramid of Darkness arc. He starts an avalanche with his voice to stop Cobra. Needless to say my palm was striking my head A LOT during this show.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I think I remember that now.

And if you ever decide to start watching old Transformers cartoons, they suffer from the same lack of logic GI Joe does. It may be slightly worse because colors of the robots change randomly from clip to clip.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Also, the Decepticon ranks were padded out by randomly repeating the Seekers, cassettes, and Reflector in various colors... and the numbers and colors varied from scene to scene.

There are even a few scenes where a character will transform and completely change color mid-transformation.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Watching one of the GI Joe episodes where they are chasing after the weather dominator. Roadblock ends up on a truck and frees a cowgirl. He says he's with GI Joe, to which she replies, "I don't care if you're with the tooth fairy." As you know, The Rock is playing Roadblock in the upcoming movie. He just happened to be the main character in a movie called "The Toothfairy". Funny little coincidence.

And now for something completely different...The Hub has started playing Mork & Mindy and Happy Days. Caught the first episodes of each a couple weeks ago. In the first episode, Mork landed on Earth and saved Mindy from getting date raped. They also showed the Mork/Happy Days tie in where Mork meets Fonzie at the Cunningham's house. I watched another episode last night. Mork once again saves Mindy from getting raped in a diner.

In the original Happy Days episode, Richie had an older brother. I heard about it, but never saw it before. Anyway, in the couple episodes I've seen of Happy Days, most of the scenes involving Richie, Potsie, and Ralph revolve around them getting laid. I had no idea Happy Days eluded to sex that often, and I remember watching it quite a bit as a kid.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

So, Mork + Date Abuse = Hilarity!

Mork & Mindy makes me think of Pam Dawber. Which makes me think of My Sister Sam. Which makes me think of Rebecca Shaeffer. Who got murdered by a stalker. Which makes me think 'What a waste.'
anarky

Post by anarky »

Uh oh.

When Grimlock sees your post, Ran, he's going to shit himself. No small feat for a giant robot.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

in all honesty, using a word in context is perfectly acceptable, no matter the word. it's when it's used as hyperbole or exaggeration that misappropriates the word enough to undermine the true meaning ("they raped my childhood"), or it's used as a joke in some other way that gets my irish up.
Life is short. STUNT IT!