Boardwalk Empire

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Boardwalk Empire

Post by anarky »

Watch this show, or you are an asshole.

This is the worthy heir to The Sopranos and Deadwood in the 9 PM Sunday HBO timeslot. Not that pussy vampire shit.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
unlimitedpudding
sloth

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Post by unlimitedpudding »

I will watch it because I always thought they should base a show off the Monopoly board game
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

We don't have HBO anymore so I can't watch it.

We are in the middle of 3 free months of Starz. I've caught a few movies. The only original show they seem to have is Spartacus, which is a cross between Rome and 300. Similar plot to Rome (especially with the sex and violence part). The fight scenes are similar style to 300...slow motion plus excess blood splatter. The main gladiator trainer is actually the Persian messenger from 300 that got kicked into the hole.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

we don't have cable anymore, so we can't watch it unless they make it available online (not likely).
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Y'all need to add this to your Netflix queues or something. Because anyone who doesn't watch it is now a triple asshole, because it is definitely the best show on TV now. It's pretty much dead even with The Sopranos or even Deadwood in how much ass it kicks, and it's getting better every week.

If nothing else, it's awesome to see Steve Buscemi finally get a lead role. The man is the shiznit.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Some of us cain't afford Cable and yore high-falutin aych-bee-owe.

And I've yet to sit down and watch The Sopranos.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
anarky

Post by anarky »

The Sopranos is excellent. It annoys me how a lot of people use it as an excuse to throw "edgy" content where it doesn't need to be in lieu of actual good writing, but it's one of the best shows I've ever seen. Amazing character development. I'd absolutely recommend renting it. I'd say buy it, but HBO series (aside from Curb Your Enthusiasm) tend to be way overpriced (like $50-$60 per season).

And I, for one, loved the ending. I won't spoil it (in case you haven't heard about it before), but there was no other way to end it without disappointing someone.

Deadwood, however, was slightly better in most respects. It only falls short in that The Sopranos was a complete series, and Deadwood was sort of aborted after a third season cliffhanger that obviously was supposed to lead into a fourth season.
jdr3
sloth

Post by jdr3 »

The place were they shot the final scene of Sopranos is near my house. Great homemade ice cream and descent burgers. Never watched the shows. Not a big fan of Gandolfini (sp). Also don't have HBO and since we didn't get the bid for Boardwalk have no interest in watching out of principle. Maybe when I'm retired.
"He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Never cared for The Sopranos. I saw most of the first season and random episodes here and there as my wife would watch them. I thought it was all rather boring and lifeless.

Then again, I'm not into 99% of Mob/organized crime tv/movies anyway. The Departed is the only real example of the genre that I like (which is one of my all-time favorite flicks).
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Holy shit, that ending was so fucking awesome, the cat started moshing. Then the baby stood up, cussed me out, grabbed his fedora, and flew to Rome to pimp-slap the pope. The pope called me a few hours later and just said, "DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE, I knoooooooooow!"
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

I didn't post in this thread last year but I waited and watch season 1 on HBO On Demand...and currently I'm caught up through episode 10 of season 2.

Nark, I don't know if you are watching as they air, so I won't say anything spoilery...but while I thought season 1 was fantastic, I must say season 2 is even better. Just awesome, so far. Let me know if you are caught up, so I can post some plotlines for discussion.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'm two episodes behind currently. It's tough to find an hour when the kids are asleep (and both of us are up) to watch it. So far, holy shit, it's fucking amazing.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

Ok, cool, I think the next 2 episodes will change your life. :D

Earlier this season, it was kinda cool to see Junior Soprano and Hugh DeAngelis from The Sopranos in the same episode of Boardwalk Empire. :)
anarky

Post by anarky »

Finally caught up and holy fuck, they cram a ton of action into each episode. Not necessarily the sort of "action" one thinks of when they hear the word, but, damn, a shit-ton happens.

Three major characters dead in three consecutive episodes, one being arguably the second most important on the show? Holy fucking shit.

I hope we have not seen the last of Harrow. I think we have not. But I'm not sure what capacity he'll be in. Did he know Jimmy was willingly going to his death? Will he blame Horvitz for the death of Angela, whom he clearly had feelings for?

And it can't just be a clever nod that (former) Agent Van Alden is in Capone's hometown. Barring death, which is certainly not out of the question at this point, I doubt we'll see the end of him, either.

IRL, Capone and Luciano were both fairly tight with Nucky (Johnson), so I assume they'll be around still.

No frigging clue where this will go next season.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:No frigging clue where this will go next season.
Outer space.

Or prehistoric times.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.