firefly

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: firefly

Post by Ran »

I actually saw the movie before I saw the tv series.

By the way, the anniversary/reunion show that was on recently was pretty good. It is still on my DVR.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Ran wrote:I actually saw the movie before I saw the tv series.

By the way, the anniversary/reunion show that was on recently was pretty good. It is still on my DVR.
Me too, on both counts.

As for seeing the flick first, I wasn't super impressed. The big moments didn't have the impact they should have.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Serenity had a ridiculously small budget compared to other Sci-Fi films of the same scope.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Serenity is certainly different in tone from Firefly, eh? I kinda missed the whole "space western" aspect; Serenity is good, but closer to a straightforward sci-fi flick.

I knew one major spoiler; I've seen it mentioned online over the past few years (and I believe some asshole who runs a dirty rest-stop bathroom on the information superhighway, but will remain nameless, started a thread called something like no! they killed wash! (the serenity thread)), but the other was a bit of a shock. Damn, I really liked them both. The thing about the Reavers was probably the biggest "holy fucking shit" bombshell.

Nice to see that everything wasn't wrapped up nicely in a ball of carnage. There seems to be some progress on the Mal/Inara front, but nothing conclusive like Simon/Kaylee. Makes me somewhat hopeful for the comics (and whatever comes beyond).

In any case, now I get the "leaf on the wind" and "aim to misbehave" references I've seen.

Maybe a stupid question, but did Haven appear in the show?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

No, sorry, it wasn't vyn who started that thread, it was that fucktard who went and got himself shot. Infernal Padawan, or something.

Looking at my post in there, damn, I know the dude didn't acknowledge there might be people in the room who didn't know the show, but, shit, why the hell did it never occur to me that was the first year it was actually necessary to get into Hall H before the panel you want, and the presenters probably weren't onto that yet, so he just thought he had an even bigger turnout than expected.

Oh, and it looks like I did make some comments about never watching this after all. Go fuck myself. Zero doesn't own that trademark; I'll register it and, on the off chance anyone else ever wants to use it, they can pay me three bucks. Oh, and Diabolical should probably watch Blues Brothers now so our apocalypse is complete. (But let's be honest--skip the second unless you just really like the music.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

On the commentary, I think Whedon says that the movie is basically all the ideas he had for season two mashed into a two hour movie. He said the season two finale would've been the discovery of Miranda, thus making the "Reaver/Pax" arc one of the overarching stories for the series.

On the imdb trivia page it also explains why Book and Wash...left. Universal wanted all the principals signed to multi picture deals and Tudyk and Glass for whatever reason couldn't commit. So Joss had to write them out of future films. But he's since stated he'd figure out a way to bring them back that fans would accept.

Somebody in a forum elsewhere suggested The Operative is actually Book and then time-travel arguments erupted. I don't know that'd I go in for absurd sci-fi elements like time travel and cloning and shit.
anarky

Post by anarky »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:Somebody in a forum elsewhere suggested The Operative is actually Book and then time-travel arguments erupted. I don't know that'd I go in for absurd sci-fi elements like time travel and cloning and shit.
If time travel didn't seem impossible in the Firefly universe, I could buy that. But even aliens are off-limits.

Rather sucks for Book, though. Wash, it'd be impossible to have him in potential sequels if he's not dead. Book had left and was on Haven. If Ron Glass can't come back for Serenity 2, why not just not show him? Then if his schedule permits him to do Serenity 3, they can all stop by Haven. (Course, there most likely won't be Serenity 2 and 3, so it's a moot point, but, still, studios are retarded.)
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Well, that was before Avengers made a kajillion dollars with Whedon's name attached.
I'm sure the studio(Universal) would be willing to give it another shot now. Well, the odds are much better in any case.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Tudyk said he and Whedon had actually discussed possibly killing Wash in season 2 anyway, so it may have always been in the cards.

And the Veronica Mars Kickstarter may have given life to a possible Serenity follow up of some kind, just not anytime soon, as When in balls deep in Marvel for the foreseeable future.
I did like Nathan Fillion's proposal: a series of animated films.
anarky

Post by anarky »

That could be cool, and get wider audiences than the comics.

Two minor quibbles (okay, a quibble and a question) about the timeline:

1) The villain in Those Left Behind (Agent Dobson) is the same guy who's shot in the first episode of Firefly. (This was really not clear in the comic, which is pretty sad, since I'd seen the episode less than a week before reading it.) That aside, the time frame is a bit screwy here. Dobson appears to have been nursing his grudge for a very, very long time. However, in Serenity, which takes place immediately afterward, Mal mentions Simon has been on the Serenity for eight months. Which doesn't seem like enough time for Dobson to have vanished, gotten a replacement eye, apparently set himself up as some sort of minor underworld ringleader, and been planning his revenge.

2) Kaylee makes the statement in Serenity that she's not had any action that doesn't involve batteries in a year. We know for certain one time, when she was hired. If Simon has been there eight months, even if she's understating, that would mean Kaylee's been there less than two years, or roughly the same amount of time as Inara. I got the impression the previous mechanic was some douchenozzle who wasn't around very long. If that's the case, how long has Mal had the Serenity? And what about the rest of the six years between the Battle of Serenity Ridge and the show?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

The Dobson thing really confused me too. I didn't even realize that was supposed to be him for a while. It wasn't real clear, in story and art.
As for his recovery, maybe medical science could be that far advanced and he recovered quickly. Both Kaylee and Mal recovered from being shot in the stomach by the next episode.

As we saw, the first mechanic, Bester, was fired before Serenity ever lifted off. It is possible that someone twixed Kaylee's nethers between her being hired and the pilot episode.

Here are a few timelines, based on available info:
http://www.mts.net/~arphaxad/firefly.html
http://signal.serenityfirefly.com/mmx/timeline/view.php
http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

BTW, the Firefly Blu-Ray is on sale at Best Buy this week for only $20.

I also realized the other day, Firely is like the new Star Wars for me, since I have:
Firefly DVD
Firefly Blu-Ray
Serenity DVD
Serenity SE DVD
Serenity Blu-Ray

And I will undoubtedly buy the next version.
(And I still don't have Star Wars on Blu-Ray)
anarky

Post by anarky »

I must've misinterpreted that scene. I thought they'd landed on some other planet early in their career and had serious engine troubles, when Bester happened upon Kaylee in some means that wasn't explained (but isn't too hard to figure out), and she was from there.

Not implying Kaylee was a nun in the ensuing time, but she just seems all-around to be the sort to not leave the ship unless she has to.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

The flashbacks in "Out of Gas" are not only how Mal got his crew but got Serenity off the ground.
Zoe was first (obviously), then Wash and Kaylee (or vice-versa).
Inara could have come before Jayne, as Mal was trying to get started,
Jayne seems like he probably came last, yet still pretty early in Serenity's travels.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Jayne's awesome knit cap being the latest addition to the crew. :)