firefly

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: firefly

Post by anarky »

That guy's retarded. I only know two or three people who watched Firefly when it was on, and a shit-ton who've gotten into it since. Conversely, I only know a couple of people who got into Arrested Development since it was canceled, and a lot of people who watched it to begin with. Maybe I'm just dealing with an odd subset of people.

And, like vyn said, if they hype it as the acclaimed cult classic from the guy who directed Avengers and Agents of SHIELD (and why does more of Whedon's hype not point out he co-wrote motherfucking Toy Story?), you'd get a shit-ton of people who are interested, beyond the original and newer fans.

(I really never get why some dipshits in Hollywood get the "creator of" or "producer of" treatment in fucking everything. Nicholas Sparks. Michael Bay. Those kind of fucknuts. But, to beat a dead horse, how the shit did Disney not create a blockbuster with John Carter on name recognition alone?)

I find it interesting that the article mentions a possible Heroes continuation from MSN. I still haven't gotten into it, and the reason why is the reason why it seems surprising it would be on the slate for potential resurrection: though it started strong, it seemed pretty reviled by the time the second season was done, and no one seemed to shed a tear when it was canned because it had fallen so badly.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

One other thing about revived shows: I still cannot fathom how Hasbro puts out two shows at once about properties they've had success with for decades, on a network it owns, hypes the hell out of the weaker of the two (Transformers Prime) and lets the stronger one (G.I.Joe Renegades) die after a season... but end it on a cliffhanger and have no plans to ever continue the story in any medium whatsoever. :frus:
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I discovered both AD and Firefly after they had been cancelled. And of the two, I'd much rather see further exploits of the Serenity and her crew than I would of the Bluth clan. Not saying AD wasn't awesome, but it had two and a half seasons to tell its story. Firefly only had 10 episodes before they yanked the rug. 10 episodes in the wrong order.

That Netflix guy is an idiot.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Arrested Development also had a final episode that was a perfect ending. Frankly, as much as I loved the show, and I will definitely watch the fourth season as soon as I'm able to, I can't really see how it can't come across as just sorta tacked onto an otherwise "complete" story.

Also, George Michael must be forty by now. Is he still going to be in high school?

Kinda funny how the same guy says he'd bring back Twin Peaks. I don't exactly see that one sucking in the new viewers.
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Almost every Browncoat discovered Firefly after it got cancelled.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Diabolical wrote:Almost every Browncoat discovered Firefly after it got cancelled.
Obviously.

The show has millions of fans. And only 90 people watched it when it originally aired.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Rollo Tornassi
bacon

Post by Rollo Tornassi »

As requested by PM, here are the quick synopses of each Season. Just the major highlights.

Season One. You all know. The season finale has the showdown with the Blue Hands and River uttering the mysterious "Miranda".

Season Two. The search for Miranda begins. We meet Jayne's mother Maebelle. Wash finds out Book's secret but keeps it from the rest of the crew. The Alliance bears down on the Serenity and they make their desperate escape into Reaver territory. They land on Miranda and discover the truth.

Season Three. The crew tries to get the word out about Miranda. Wash dies in the mid season finale. Book's backstory gets revealed. River rescues Mal and Simon. Inara leaves. Zoe finds out she's pregnant in the season finale.

Season Four. The Dynasty and her crew are introduced. Capt. Angela and Mal start their love/hate thing(Grace Park is HOT!). Zoe has her baby. Jubal Early returns and he and Book "die". Inara returns in the season finale.

Season Five. The Angela/Mal/Inara love triangle heats up. Zoe rebounds briefly with Jayne. Brand joins the crew. Izzy shows up and starts her rebellion schtick in Mal's ear. The dissent begins. The Alliance President is assassinated in the season finale.

Season Six. The Serenity is on the run. Book returns. Izzy is killed, the whodunit begins. Jayne decides to help Zoe raise Bunny, hilarity ensues. Mrs. Cobb dies in the attack on Bernadette. The seeds of the new rebellion grow. The Cardinal is introduced. Simon saves Kaylee and dies in her arms in the season finale.

Season Seven. River starts down the path. Bunny pilots the ship!(so cute!) Brand betrays the crew. Mal has a showdown with Thea. Jayne finds out The Cardinal was responsible for the Bernadette Massacre. Cleave joins the crew. The Serenity saves the day and River leaves in the season finale.

Season Eight. River joins the crew of The Pretty. Kaylee meets Eldon. Jayne and Zoe leave. Mal hires Quinn, Daltry, and Ott(huge mistake!). Cleave gets promoted to Second in command. The crash!! Badger returns and so does the Dynasty. The rebellion subplot kicks up a notch. The triumphant return of the Serenity in the season finale!!

Season Nine. Angela betrays Mal. River stages the mutiny on The Pretty. Book shows up again. Zoe finds out about the plot against Mal. River comes to Reaverworld. Mal stands trial and goes to prison in the season finale.

Season Ten. Zoe comes back to Captain the Serenity. She and Cleave get cozy. Bunny saves the day! Jayne finds and kills The Cardinal. River becomes the Reaver Queen and prepares for war. Kaylee marries Eldon. Mal comes back just in time for the Reaver invasion in the season finale!! The second War begins!!!

Awesome. I'm sure arnaky will be in here describing the Animated Seasons. Some fans argue their canonical, along with the comics, the prose novels, the Lego Game, the WiiU game, the XBox Trilogy. But I say everything apart from the actual series is just E.U. bull.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Dark Horse has been teasing another Serenity comic.

http://ow.ly/i/35acr
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'll be in my bunk.
Attachments
serenity.jpg
serenity.jpg (25.76 KiB) Viewed 5133 times
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

You know where I'll be...

Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

I just started watching this the other day. I think I'm only on episode 4. It's okay. Nothing like what I expected but it's decent enough for me to just finish it up.
Sweet berry wine!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

An excerpt from Joss Whedon: The Biography about Firefly.

http://io9.com/preview/the-real-reason- ... 1614273050
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'll be in my bunk.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Embarrassingly, I just finished the series (& the movie) yesterday. Outstanding, as you've all said. By about halfway through the season I was saying to myself "this thinly-if-at-all disguised Untold Tales of Pre-Chewie Han Solo deserved a better shot, but it's not as good as TNG or the new Dr. Who".... by the end of Serenity it was head & shoulders above both.

Because 42 year old men MUST complain, my only issue was with one of the the deaths - Wash's seemed particularly shoe-horned in, almost like someone besides Book had to or "should" die. I think a big dramatic parting opportunity (between he and Zoe obviously) was missed, but on the flip side it did shock the shit out of me.

The risk you run of course would be watering it down, but honestly I would have been all for another season - it would have been worth that risk.
"Something inside me....."