firefly

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

firefly

Post by vynsane »

just watched the last episode on the dvd and i have to say it was a great show. i should've picked up 'serenity' at the same time, but i was being stupid.

very rich characters, interesting situations. while a bit dated, the effects were well done in that 'dirty' style, with the realistic glitchy focus and such. they didn't go for the over-the-top perfect graphics, but realistically portrayed effects. this had the effect of making them blend in more with the rest of the cinematography rather than standing out. other than my one rather nitpicky complaint, my only regret is that we don't have more insight into the mysteries behind blue sky and river, but i'm sure 'serenity' covers at least some of that.

my one nitpicky complaint is: if chinese culture is such a huge facet of life in this solar system, where the fuck are all the chinese people? is this addressed in the movie? did they take over earth forcing the caucasian populace to seek exoplanets thus creating the alliance and independent factions in the first place? if so, why aren't there more mixed race people? i realize the show was under a budget and most of it probably went to the limited amount of graphics they could get out, but still... casting for 'mixed asian' extras isn't that hard...

EDIT: i should say that i watched the first 10 minutes or so of 'serenity' on netflix 'watch instantly' - so that's where i know of the emigration from earth to this other solar system, but i switched to another computer to watch the rest so i could work with the first computer and the playback was choppy due to my video card's capabilities on the second machine, so i stopped watching. i'll probably return to it tomorrow, maybe.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
UKWildcat
christopher walken

Re: firefly

Post by UKWildcat »

Glad you enjoyed the show Vyn.

It should be noted that Sleazer's all time favorite title song is that of Firefly's:
"Take my love, take my land, Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land and boil the sea, You can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I found Serenity, But you can't take the sky from me..."
"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

UKWildcat wrote:It should be noted that Sleazer's all time favorite title song is that of Firefly's:
"Take my love, take my land, Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land and boil the sea, You can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I found Serenity, But you can't take the sky from me..."
it certainly grows on you. at first i was offput by the sloppy vocal stylings, but by the last episode i was singing along. it definitely gives you an encapsulated feel for the broader concept of the entire series.

EDIT: also: anyone read the comics? are they any good?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Vyn wrote:my only regret is that we don't have more insight into the mysteries behind blue sky and river, but i'm sure 'serenity' covers at least some of that.
You're half right.
UKWildcat wrote:It should be noted that Sleazer's all time favorite title song is that of Firefly's:
I HATED the song at first, but now I love it now. I even have it on my mp3 player.
Vyn wrote:anyone read the comics? are they any good?
The art is a bit iffy at times, but both series are pretty good. They both take place between the series and the movie. The newer series "Better Days" comes first chronologically and "Those Left Behind" leads right into Serenity.

You may have mentioned this before Vyn, but have you seen Serenity yet (besides what you just saw on the computer)?
I really wish I could go back and see the series before the movie just to see...nevermind.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

Good going Vyn.

I agree about the song, it grows on you like a wart.

River is covered a bit in Serenity. The Reavers finally get seen and they are awesome
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Diabolical wrote:You may have mentioned this before Vyn, but have you seen Serenity yet (besides what you just saw on the computer)?
I really wish I could go back and see the series before the movie just to see...nevermind.
i saw bits and pieces one day at my in-laws when i was working remotely from their house, but wasn't able to really pay attention. so it will basically be like watching it for the first time.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Ever see that Direct TV commercial where the black guy sets his DVR from his cell phone during the bank robbery?
Did you notice the white guy also on the floor is Alan "Wash" Tudyk?
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

I still don't like the theme song !!! :frus:

It's an amazing show, though, that's for sure. :)
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

What's the name of that one fuckin' guy that STILL hasn't watched this?

I can't...recall...
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

It's funny because you act as if I'm making some stance to not watching, instead of not having gotten around to it.

I'm not Diabolical, after all, and this isn't The Blues Brothers.

We're switching internet providers, after which I should be able to watch it without constant buffering. (TWC has been decent, but they jacked the price up way beyond what they're worth in the past month. Hello, Verizon.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

What can I say? I'm an impatient MoFo.

Think of it this way. Norah Jones, Christina Ricci, and Kate Upton are in your bedroom eating each other out, scissor fucking, and craving a cock to finish them off. And I'm asking you why are you in the kitchen, making a sandwich?
anarky

Post by anarky »

Point taken. :lol:

It is easier to watch high-quality streaming video with a decent speed on your interweb tubes, though, you must admit.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Now take that previous analogy and add Jennifer Connely and Kelly Macdonald into the orgy AND that each of the women will pay you $2,000,000 for every orgasm YOU have and apply that to reading Game of Thrones.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Well, shit. I'll crack them open, permission or no permission. I am in the middle of a tome (and I do mean "tome")from the library, and will get on GOT as soon as I'm done.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Here's what annoys the shit out of me about Firefly. It only lasted 14 episodes, and Stargate managed 17 seasons and three different series. What kind of sick Universal Joke is that?!?!
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”