Daily Show

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Daily Show

Post by Ran »

I quit watching when Jon Stewart took over. But now that I've seen a few episodes over the past week or three, I'll admit that Jon Stewart is funny.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Daily Show

Post by anarky »

You quit watching?

You have been missing out for about ten years, you know. I saw Jon as a Sammy Hagar at first, but it only took about a week to realize he was much funnier than Craig Kilborne had been.

So, you missed the entire reporting careers of John Oliver, Samantha Bee, Jason Jones, Rob and Nate Corddry, and so many other comic geniuses? Man. I'm not sure you can ever make up for lost time there.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I'll survive. Not counting hockey and football, there are no shows I watch on a regular basis anymore. My viewing choices can be summed up in this order: Hockey, football, History Channel/Discovery Channel, HBO, Fox movie channel, VH-1 Classic, G4TV (only for Attack of the show or X-Play), Comedy Central, IFC/Sundance, Cartoon Network. And as a last resort during the late morning/early-afternoon on weekends, one of the Spanish channels has the Lucha Libre. Should nothing there interest me, I'll pop in a DVD. Next up is Temple of Doom.
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

I find the "news" portion of the Daily Show the funniest. The interview and corespondent portions never strike me as funny as they're supposed to. The same goes for the "Colbert Report".
:grillmarks:
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Antropov wrote:I find the "news" portion of the Daily Show the funniest. The interview and corespondent portions never strike me as funny as they're supposed to. The same goes for the "Colbert Report".
Many times, the interviews on TDS are supposed to be serious, though Jon Stewart does sneak in a small joke here or there like any other talk show host.

I love both shows, though, and try to watch every episode.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

Senor JabbaJohnL wrote: Many times, the interviews on TDS are supposed to be serious, though Jon Stewart does sneak in a small joke here or there like any other talk show host.
And I think that's why I'm not a fan. Stewart is awesome when he's being funny, but during the interviews he's just as vanilla as the next guy.

Plus, given the fact that its cable TV he usually gets an author of a book no one has heard of, which would be boring even if Johnny fucking Carson was doing the interview.
:grillmarks:
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

True. I like the interviews best when he disagrees with the guy, since they both get so tense and it makes for good TV.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Call me a perv, but when Kristen Shall tonight was going to strip to somehow protest sexism toward Hillary Clinton, a part of me was really hoping she'd be wearing lacy unmentionables. I have this weird thing about nerdy girls next door, as long as they're not actually ugly. Any humor in her wearing a Wonder Woman costume underneath was lost in my disappointment.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Ok, I'll fess up. John Stewart is pretty damn funny.
anarky

Post by anarky »

They always joke that real news happens when they're on vacation. Here it is, three weekdays into their three-week vacation, and Ted Kennedy has died and Michael Jackson's death was ruled a homicide.

Why doesn't Comedy Central give them funding to be five nights a week, 52 weeks a year? People would watch it!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

I'm sure the crew is happy to have a break, though. Plus, they can just wait for all the ridiculous news coverage of Kennedy's death and then pick the best stuff from there.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Yeah, but if they had enough to hire fill-in folks to write and produce, it could keep going. And they could have someone who's not been in the spotlight lately host, or even a totally unaffiliated guest host.
Ran

Post by Ran »

They cancelled Larry Wilmore's show this week. I tapped out a while ago because I just didn't find it entertaining. Apparently I wasn't alone because he lost 50% of Colbert's audience.