Another new Batman animated TV show

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Another new Batman animated TV show

Post by anarky »

Looks like The Batman is done already, and we can soon look forward to Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
“['The Brave And The Bold'] s not connected to ‘The Batman.’ It’s its own thing. It will be action-packed and fun,” said Tucker. “I’d say it’s more Batman as a superhero as opposed to Batman as a dark avenger. And he’s joined by a rotating cast of heroes. And that’s all I can say right now.”

Tucker's new project, "Batman: The Brave And The Bold" debuts in the fall.

“The Batman,” an Emmy-award winning series, aired its final episode in March.
So, they prematurely killed the DCAU when there was plenty of life left to replace it with the anime-reject The Batman, and now they're cancelling that to give us what looks like a fucking retread of Superfriends? Are they continually shooting for younger and younger viewers? What's next, Bat-Baby?

Call me a gripemonger, but Batman in blue, "as a superhero as opposed to...a dark avenger," and using the old Adam West-era logo, well, it looks like the first step in undoing everything guys like Denny O'Neil and Alan Grant and Frank Miller did to put the "dark" back in "Dark Knight." Between this and Grant Morrison saying in his run on the comic that every shitty 50s and 60s story actually happened, well, I'm really, really concerned for the future of the greatest comic hero ever.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Double_G
megatron

Re: Another new Batman animated TV show

Post by Double_G »

Gay.

Why don't they just rerun "The Animated Series"? That way they could introduce a whole new generation of kids to that kick-ass show and please the fans at the same time.
anarky wrote:I'm really, really concerned for the future of the greatest comic hero ever.
I would be concerned were it not for "The Dark Knight" coming out this year. At least Christopher Nolan knows what he's doing.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Why don't they re-run The Animated Series, Superman, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited, all leading up to NEW STORIES IN THAT UNIVERSE???

I've always loved comics. But, aside from a few truly great stories (Year One/Two/Three, The Killing Joke, A Death in the Family/A Lonely Place of Dying, Doomsday, Man of Steel, and pretty much anything involving Batman that Alan Grant touched (eg, Anarky in Gotham City)), I can't help but consider the DCAU to be the definitive incarnation of DC superheroes. It was doing quite well until the end, when, as is the case with every other fucking original show on Cartoon Network (sorry, Transformers Animated, it's coming soon), it was prematurely axed. And for what? To give us The Batman, with all its hip anime knockoff look.

I should've known something bad was in the cards for the DCAU when I watched five minutes of the first episode of Teen Titans and it definitely wasn't the Robin from that batch of series.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

that's looking pretty stupid, though it's perhaps trying to capture the youth market that everyone keeps saying is the future of comics... and i tend to agree.

anyway, wow... nice redesign, comicbookresources... well done. still think there's WAAAAAY too much shit on the homepage, though.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Yeah, they definitely have one of the busiest sites around. I think the redesign looks nice, but it's tougher to find anything.

Weird thing about a Batman cartoon going more "kiddie" is that, unlike the comics, the cartoons overall haven't been getting more mature. Batman could be an oasis of decent all-ages entertainment on a Saturday morning. I hate the animation in The Batman, and think the interpretation of Penguin is the dumbest thing ever, but the show is entertaining to me at 32. Not like Teen Titans, or Legion of Superheroes.

The only other Saturday morning cartoons in the past few years that were watchable have been Transformers Animated (which, being on Cartoon Network, is doomed already) and the relaunch of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... well, at least until they were suddenly thrown into the year 3000 for some stupid reason and have been there since.

And there's no longer any presence of Looney Toons, be it on Saturday morning or any other time slot. Sad.

It's kinda like in the 80s, cartoons started getting a little more sophisticated, and caught on with an older crowd. And it kinda peaked around the time of the DCAU and DuckTales and Darkwing Duck, with stories a kid could watch with parents. Which could've been the start of a whole new era of cartoons for everyone. But it looks like television animation has taken a stance that adults have Fox Sunday night and Adult Swim, and they should stay the fuck away from Saturday morning and let the kids have totally brainless stuff that probably won't entertain them much after they're seven.

Most people today seem to mean "Teen Titans" or "Family Circus" when they say "all-ages." I tend to think "PG, possibly coming close to PG-13."
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:But it looks like television animation has taken a stance that adults have Fox Sunday night and Adult Swim, and they should stay the fuck away from Saturday morning and let the kids have totally brainless stuff that probably won't entertain them much after they're seven.
not so for the new spider-man. have you checked it out? it's actually got a very good balance of fun superheroism for the kiddies and intriguing plot for the "over seven" demographic. and they've really been doing a great job of updating classic themes for a modern era. hell, they had "the enforcers" for chrissake! mabs, i'm looking in your direction on that one...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

That's on already?

Shit.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:That's on already?

Shit.
well, i know one site you haven't been to in a long time then... :|

never fear, they're showing two episodes each saturday starting tomorrow!

http://wallcrawlersweb.com/news/article/138/
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I actually have been there. I've just, uh, been going straight to the forums. I really should check out the news more often.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

yeah, i try to post in the forum whenever i post a news article, but sometimes i don't get the chance. like tonight, for instance: check out the "interview" with clancy brown (the kurgan from highlander!) who's voicing the rhino: http://www.wallcrawlersweb.com/news/article/139/

i put interview in quotes because i'm on the kids' WB press list and they just feed me this content now. their press guy contacted me actually, so at least my sites on the map in terms of visibility... pretty cool, really. now i don't have to constantly check superherohype, comicbookresources, and newsarama for EVERYTHING...
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

The only animated Batman is voiced by Kevin Conroy.
All others are false-Batmen.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

The one in New Frontier was rather good for a false-Batman. But, agreed, Kevin Conroy IS Batman.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Um....

Errr....

Anyone got any ketchup? 'Cause I need to eat some words.

I'm really surprised as hell to be saying this, but this show is AWESOME! I pulled up Cartoon Network On Demand tonight so A Jr could see something. She loves Batman. I figured this'd be safe, and the episode I picked had Bat-Mite (played by none other than Pee Wee Herman). Oh, and it was written by some dude named Dini.

I don't think I've seen so many goofy fanboy nods in one episode of anything, from a spoof of the B:TAS opening, to Dick Sprang inspired villains, to a reference to "Bat-monster repellent," to a bunch of older Batman costumes (including, surprisingly, the one from the vampiric killer comic book Batman seen only in Detective 622-4).

It's like a modern, kid-friendly, adult-approved modernized version of the Golden Age Batman with a touch of the 1960s show tossed in. I have to highly recommend checking this out. I let her stay up an extra half-hour to watch another episode.

Honest to God, this is better than The Batman, which has been growing on me, too.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

It IS better than The Batman in some ways

Wait'll you see the fucking Kamandi episode, me and my buddy damn near shat when we saw it. Or the Bwana Beast episode... It's SUPER well put together, nice and "light" and the references are fucking fast and furious.

I only saw several episodes a few months ago and didn't think anyone cared much about it, seeing the overall lack of any conversation about it.

I have really enjoyed every single episode I've seen and have no doubt that the ones I still have to see will not disappoint, glad you enjoyed it Anarky, I would kinda be floored if you didn't

Oh and seriously fave episode so far is the team-up featuring Plastic man with/versus Elongated Man - Oyes they DID do it
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Oh yeah. And oyes.

I forgot the four (five?) most important words any recommendation of this show should include:

Ace the Motherfuckin' Bat-Hound