Anything good on TV this season?

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Anything good on TV this season?

Post by anarky »

Pushing Daisies was good again this week. I was a little worried how they could carry it into multiple episodes. I still think they're trying too hard to make it quirky/Burtonesque, but so far it seems to work.

Caught a few minutes of Moonlight last night. Ugh. I don't say this because I had to make some minor changes to one of my characters in case this show takes off (which I now think there's no danger of), but this may be the worst show I've ever bothered to watch. The acting is horrible, the story is weak, the cinematography is confusing as hell, there are way too many vampires running around, and the script takes for granted that all the viewers know all there is to know about post-Anne Rice emo bullshit vampires. You know how much I dislike Bionic Woman? This made it look like fucking Deadwood: The Animated Series (by Paul Dini and Genndy Tartakovsky). No wonder CBS buried it on Friday night. I had to turn to Young Frankenstein to cleanse my palate after that crap.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

It's Pilot Season! For some reason ( oh no..wait...there IS a reason, it's that fucking writer's strike...) I have access to less pilots than in previous years. I have watched The Mentalist with Simon Baker and Robin Tunney. And also Fringe by JJAbrams. Starring Josh Jackson, John Noble (Lord Denethor from LOTR) and some blonde chick. I still have Eleventh Hour which is a remake of a Patrick Stewart BBC show now starring Rufus Sewell and Marley Shelton. I've seen parts of it but not the entire pilot.

Of the three, I recommend Fringe if only to watch Noble's crazy performance as an aging scientist who gets pulled out of an asylum after almost twenty years to assist the FBI in solving crimes. utterly outstanding. Mentalist was okay, with Baker's protagonist equal parts likeable and unlikable. If I could just get past the "California Bureau of Investigation" (CBI) without giggling.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

The commercials for Fringe make it looks like an X-Files knock off. Glad to hear there's more to it than that.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
UKWildcat
christopher walken

Post by UKWildcat »

I'm kinda looking forward to Eleventh Hour. Love some Rufus Sewell (Dark City motherfuckers!)... Hopefully the show will be good.
"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

UKWildcat wrote:I'm kinda looking forward to Eleventh Hour. Love some Rufus Sewell (Dark City motherfuckers!)... Hopefully the show will be good.
Our very own Dr. McDiddlepants was a producer on the pilot.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Time to revive this...again. Anything looking interesting this year? I'm seeing a lot of crap. Like Animal Doctor. That looks horrible. And Vegas looks like somebody wanted a network friendly Boardwalk Empire. Kind of like PanAm and Playboy Club were jumping on the MadMen bandwagon. There's the usual slew of doctor/lawyer/cop/firefighter shows. Nothing stands out.
I'm trying to get past the obvious suspension of disbelief for the premise of Revolution. I distinctly remember doing an experiment in jr high with a tightly wound piece of copper wire and a friction crank to create electricity. So the idea that nobody can turn the power back on is a bit too silly for me. But we'll see.
Elementary looks like it might be good. I've always been a fan of Jonny Lee Miller.
Green Arrow will automatically get a few episodes of grace from me. If its even moderately entertaining I'll make an effort to keep watching.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I watched Animal Practice after the Olympics tonight. Woof. I give it six episodes. The Russo Bros did this? Yikes. That makes me slightly less excited for Captain America 2.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

So far, none of the new comedies I've watched stood out. Most were downright awful.
GoOn, The New Normal, and Animal Practice were awful.
The Neighbors got turned off after five minutes.
I think I laughed once during The Mindy Project. She's worthless without the rest of The Office cast.
Ben and Kate and Partners earned a couple laughs, but not enough to be destination TV.
It's sad The Office and 30Rock are ending this year.
The Dramas I've watched are Vegas, which is neutered by being on Network TV. And having ham Dennis Quaid on it.
Revolution is just hokey as shit. I'm sad "25 Million" people tuned in. It's the new Heroes.
Last Resort was pretty good, thanks to Andre Braugher and others.
Elementary was also good.
Made In Jersey is a cop show that wants to be a lawyer show. Or a lawyer show that wants to be a cop show. Or 'What if Snooki was a Lawyer?' It didn't outright suck, but you've seen the plot on old episodes of Kojak and Simon&Simon. Nothing original at all.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

There's almost nothing that even piques my interest this season.

I did see the first episode of Revolution. Mediocre describes it best. They are clearly aiming for The Hunger Games audience. Comparing it to Heroes is unfair - I liked Heroes (even the subpar second season).

I was looking forward to one show this year, but they haven't announced the premiere yet, despite a bunch of hype. It's called NHL hockey.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

You're right. Camparing Rev to Heroes is unfair. Rev is just daffy.
Heroes was poop. I gave up after four episodes.
Then I watched the second season premiere at ComicCon in Hall H with 6000 nerds. They were all screaming like it was the second coming. I was watching a big pile of dogshit.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Season 1 was great. Season 2 was severely affected by the writer's strike and, despite improving in both seasons 3 and 4, the show never really recovered from season 2.

I'd to revisit the entire series and prattle inanely about it...someday...
Ran

Post by Ran »

Diabolical wrote: I was looking forward to one show this year, but they haven't announced the premiere yet, despite a bunch of hype. It's called NHL hockey.
I'm in the same boat.

There is this other league starting up.. http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/artic ... =foxsports
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I was all excited about this new show Vegas. Until I tuned in.
Robert Urich was nowhere to be found. Sonuvabitch.

Goddamn bait and switch. Go fuck yourself, television.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

to answer the question posed in the title of this topic: no. there isn't.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Lessee, what've I watched so far this season?

Sleepy Hollow. The pilot was better than what I thought it would be. The two leads did a good a job, so I'll forgive the show teasing me with The Kurgan and Kumar and killing them both off before the hour was over. Will I continue to watch? I dunno. Maybe.

Dads. The only thing I laughed at was the Kill Hitler video game. Considering this is from Seth McFarlane, it was disappointing.

Brooklyn-99. Andy Samberg's new cop comedy. The first episode was pretty fucking funny. Too bad it's on opposite Agents of SHIELD. But other than that, I recommend it.

Mom. The new comedy from the guy who gave us Big Bang and 2 1/2 Men. Eh. Nothing noteworthy.

The Blacklist. A great first episode and a set up for a series. The first new show of the season I'm gonna stick with. James Spader was great.

Agents of SHIELD. Discussed elsewhere. Fell short of expectations.

I skipped Lucky 7 because the last "lottery winners" show (I forgot the name of it) wasn't any good. And I'd be willing to bet the episodes follow the same story arc.
I also skipped Hostages, because the premise just sounds silly.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”