Netflix Original Series

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by Tom Foolery »

From the guys who did “The Toys That Made Us” is a new Netflix series, “The Movies That Made Us”

First 4 episode season is Dirty Dancing, Home Alone, Ghostbusters, and Die Hard. They should do one about Star Wars, because no one has ever done a documentary about how that movie got made and it would be interesting to see.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

The Irishman - put it here or in the movies part? Grey area. I want to watch it, but part of me wants to do a re-watch on the first 2 parts of the Holy Trilogy first as a warm up.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The Witcher dropped today. I know nothing, having never read the books or played the games, but I appreciate that Henry Cavill is a giant nerd and lobbied hard for the role of Geralt.
I appreciate that they took great care introducing a bunch of interesting characters in the first episode and then promptly killed 90% of them off. The sword fights were magnificent. Also, titties.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I tried to watch The Witcher just now. I switched it off after ten minutes. It was excruciatingly dull. They should've thrown out titties and magnificent sword fights earlier.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

For some reason(like people have been forced to stay at home for extended periods and are binge watching older shows or something) Ozark has had an uptick in popularity recently. So I started watching it a few weeks ago. Finished two seasons. It’s been pretty good.

anarky

Post by anarky »

We've been watching more TV than usual. Wonder why.

Peaky Blinders: The modern music is a little disconcerting at first, but, damn, this show is good. It's like an HBO crime drama in that it's dark as hell and no one is safe. Sam Neill fucking destroys it as the main villain.

Locke and Key: Never read the comic, so can't compare it. Some of the relationships between kids at the high school are a touch unbelievable, but it's a solid enough "Stranger Things Lite." My wife and daughter think it's reminiscent of Coraline, but only in the broadest strokes.

Lost in Space: Another slow burn show. Netflix seems to like those. I guess because you don't have to set aside an hour next week to give them a second chance. I actually didn't have any desire to watch the second episode, and all the characters took several episodes for them to get beyond "totally unlikable, don't care if they die or not." But now the final season can't come soon enough. (Netflix also likes short shows.)
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I saw something that said so many Netflix shows end with 3 seasons is purely a money issue. A lot of contacts are 3 seasons and if the show is successful the prices skyrocket across the board, so Netflix has a hard time green lighting more, unless you're a golden unicorn like Stranger Things.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I watched the first season of Ozark & it got a little nutty right at the end there.... didn't really have much drive to start season 2. It's not bad or anything, it just seems like there's always something ahead of it.
anarky

Post by anarky »

anarky wrote:Locke and Key
I wouldn't quite say the show went totally to shit, but the characters get progressively dumber heading to the end. There were multiple times I wanted to throttle the main kids, because they make the dumbest decisions imaginable. No, scratch that. Imagine the dumbest thing you can, then double the stupid. And they constantly just forget the established rules of magic.

Also there was way too much left completely left unexplained, unless Netflix decided beforehand to have multiple seasons.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Avatar:The Last Airbender is on Netflix now.

If you’ve never watched it, you should. Probably one of the best told stories of the last twenty years. The mythology is fantastic.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I started it & will really hunker down when I get back home on Sunday & have the uninterrupted nerd time to do it right.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

My kids and GF introduced it to me a few years ago, and I’ve watched it beginning to end like 4 times in the last 5 years.

The live-action adaptation by M Night Shamalamadingdong is an abortion and should never be mentioned in mixed company.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Holy shit, War for Cybertron: Siege was great! Finally, there's some evidence I can show people when saying TF can be great sci-fi that's not a comic book!

(Also, not a Netflix series but Season 1 is on there, but TF Cyberverse is almost as good, just geared toward a younger crowd. And has the first animated appearances of Bludgeon, Maccadam, and even motherfucking Rack-N-Ruin.)
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That's good, Chux! I'm happy you got something you enjoyed :)
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Umbrella Academy season 2 dropped today. Only got thru the first episode so far, but it’s looking good so far.